The overall goal of this global study is to better understand sexual and reproductive health among adults during COVID-19 using an online convenience sample from selected countries. The primary study aims are listed below:
1) To determine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on sexual health, with a focus on sexual risk behaviors
2) To determine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on intimate partner violence
3) To determine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on access to essential reproductive health commodities and services, including contraceptives and abortion services.
Secondary study aims including the following:
1) To determine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on mental health
2) To determine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on harmful cultural practices
3) To examine the impact of COVID-19 social restriction measures on HIV/STI testing
We will use a cross-sectional online survey with convenience sampling. National sample sizes will be calculated based on national priorities and national-level analyses.
Open Data Kit software (version 1.16) will be used to create the online survey. This will be an online survey administered through smartphones, tablets or computers.
In each country, the in-country lead will organize translation, local field testing, and ethical review. Translation will ensure that the survey is available in the national language of the country. Field testing will provide the survey instrument in a print form to at least 10 individuals and have them provide feedback about translations, covering sensitive topics, and related issues.
Inclusion criteria for the survey include 18 years or older, currently residing in one of the participating countries, and able to provide online informed consent. We will include standard fraud protection methods, including CAPTCHA and a measure to prevent more than one response from a single IP address.
In each country, the lead organization will select networks through which to disseminate the link to the survey. The survey link will be distributed through email listservs, local partner organizations affiliated in-country institutions, sexual and reproductive health networks, and social media links. Participants in the survey will not receive an incentive to participate and the survey will take approximately 15 – 20 minutes to complete.